Strawberry Rhubarb Jam Hand Pies
Pie is perhaps my favorite dessert to make because it always turns up as a wow-factor at gatherings and around the supper table. The thing with pie is that it takes patience and time to complete, if you are going for the gold at least. Pie crust can be tricky to master, especially when you consider that it takes at least an hour before you even bake it with your filling! There is a solution, however, and that is by using jam as a pie filling. It makes the art of pie baking quick and easy, without much mess to clean up, and leaves behind the chore of pre-baking your crust and so forth (at least when the pies are mini!).
These little pies use my own homemade strawberry rhubarb jam recipe as the filling, but you could substitute that for any type of jam really (peach, blueberry, mixed berry, raspberry, etc). They are so delicious and simple to make!
Ingredients + Recipe |
Makes 6 Pies
1. Make your pie crust. Shape into a disk, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least one hour and up to two days.
2. Preheat your oven to 425.
3. When chilled, roll out your pie crust into a standard 9 inch disk. With a cookie cutter about 6 inches in diameter cut the dough into circles. You will need to form the pieces of dough back together and roll out again to get enough for 6 pies (12 circles).
4. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place 6 of the dough circles on the parchment paper.
5. Place a tablespoon of jam in the center of each circle. Whisk together the egg and a tablespoon of milk for egg wash. With a pastry brush, brush the outer edges of the circle with egg and milk mixture.
6. Cut 4 slits into the other dough circles that will be the tops of the pies. Place on top of the jam and press down around the edges with your fingers.
7. With a fork, press down the edges to create a design and also a firm seal in case the pies leak.
8. Brush the tops of the pies with egg wash and dust liberally with turbinado sugar.
9. Bake for 20 minutes or until the pies are golden brown.
10. Remove from the oven and place on a wire cooling rack. Enjoy!
We sell these little pies in our Country Store, and they are always a huge hit. Try making them for your next summer gathering or cookout! I know they will go over well with your friends. Happy summer!