Orange and Clove Gardener's Hand Scrub
I must be a gardener... I have not even planted outside yet and my hands are already rough, patchy, and caked with dirt in every single crack. I absolutely love to start my seeds, but apparently my hands do not! I've never been one to be too concerned with the appearance of my hands. I never wear nail polish or fake nails; I'm not the person that carries hand lotion in their purse. I have not, however, been enjoying the somehow rough and scratchiness that comes with working in the dirt. I wonder why that is, meaning why does it happen! I decided I needed to make myself a new hand scrub.
I made this lemon hand scrub a while back (and it was featured on Lauren Conrad's blog - eek!) and absolutely loved it. I just never made anymore! My favorite local shop, Sister's Garden, carries this really yummy smelling Gardener's Hand Soap with a blend of orange and clove. I wanted to replicate that in a scrub so that I could really get off those dead skin cells and dig out the dirt embedded in the cracks of my knuckles and palms. I also included some of doTERRA's On Guard® blend to help purify and disinfect my skin. You could also use Thieve's oil, or you can make your own blend! It's simply a mix of essential oils in wild orange, clove, cinnamon leaf and bark, eucalyptus, and rosemary.
Ingredients + Recipe |
- 1 cup fine dead sea salt
- 1/2 cup epsom salt (omit this if you have sensitive skin, as it can be abrasive. use another 1/2 cup of fine sea salt or sugar instead)
- 1/3 cup grapeseed oil
- 2 tbsp vitamin e oil
- 2 tbsp liquid Castile soap
- 10 drops On Guard® by doTERRA or Thieves essential oil (or you can make your own purifying blend - see above!)
- 15 drops wild orange essential oil
- zest of one orange
- 1 tbsp ground cloves
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- Mix all ingredients in a medium sized bowl with a rubber spatula until thoroughly combined.
- Place in a glass jar with an airtight seal. Keep in a cool, dark place or refrigerate over time to extend the shelf life.
- To use: place one teaspoon of scrub in the palm of your hand and exfoliate under warm water. Towel dry and apply a moisturizing lotion afterwards.
Super easy! I love how quickly scrub recipes come together. No heating over the stove or distilling of liquids. Just put everything in a bowl and mix! This recipe makes a wonderful gift for the gardener in your life. You don't have to be a gardener either! I think this scent is just always associated with "gardener's soap" which I think is kind of fun. I think this would make a great Easter or Mother's Day gift! What do you think? Perfect for getting in the mood for spring.
If you'd like some help with getting started using doTERRA's essential oils, check out our essential oils page. I would love to help you out!