Tad's Birthday Cake Recipe
It is finally looking like spring!!! Hooray! We have been busy busy busy over here pumping out orders, detoxing from birthday festivities, and thinking up ideas for our upcoming fall/winter collection. Shh! It's a surprise!!
How about a yummy cake recipe? I will always go by the Beekman Boys first. Every single one of their recipes that I have tried has always turned out superb. So, of course, I flipped through their Heirloom Dessert Cookbook to hunt for the perfect cake recipe for my grand-baby's birthday. After debating on a couple of choices, we decided the banana cake recipe sounded delicious. We tested it out beforehand, and we were definitely right. This cake is like a super fluffy banana bread, and Tad Henry loved it!
Here's what you will need:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg (I used ground)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 lbs very ripe bananas (1 1/3 cups)
- 2 tsps fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup whole-milk, plain Greek yogurt
- 12 tbsp (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Here's how to make it:
- Set your oven to 350 degrees and grease your cake pan.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside. In a small bowl, mix together bananas, lemon juice, and Greek yogurt.
- In an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla.
- With the mixer on low speed, begin to add the flour and banana mixtures. Alternately beat in (about 5 separate additions) beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Scrap the batter into your cake pans and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean with a few moist crumbs clinging to it.
How to make the frosting:
- Two 8 oz packages of cream cheese
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/3 cup whole-milk Greek yogurt
- Beat all ingredients together at high speed!
As you can see, it was a huge hit! We ate cupcakes made from the same batter. Hope you enjoy!!