Couldn't you use a little extra storage? I know I need it, especially now that my space is so much more limited being in a smaller home. I have seen several versions of this idea on Pinterest and fell in love with the idea. Yes, I promise, you can get this done this weekend and still have time to do all the other stuff that you want, like laying around watching football all day Sunday (that was my plan anyway!!) It's pretty inexpensive, too, considering that the ones I have seen for sale have been around $50.00 and up EACH!
Here's what you're going to need:
- Wooden Crates.....I got mine at the Home Depot for under $10.00 each
- Wood Stain.....I used Minwax wood sheen water based stain. It dries almost instantly and doesn't smell
- A rag or cut up cotton tshirt to apply the stain
- Numbers printed out
- A piece of chalk to color the back of the image so it can be traced
- Some tape to hold down the letters & numbers while you trace
- A ball point pen to trace over the numbers & letters leaving a chalk outline on the wood
- Acrylic Craft Paint - I used a cream color
- A small paint brush
I'm so thrilled with the final result, and I can see them being used in all kinds of places in the house: the laundry room, a kids room for extra toys, a kitchen pantry.
Mine, however, are being used in the family room for storage.
This poor cabinet, I have hauled it to my house in Morris, IL and then off to Texas at two separate homes in the past three years, and it has had a different life in each one. It's now being used as a family library/entertainment center. I don't think I will ever part with it though since it's such a cool piece.
On a side note, the cabinet was purchased from a fabulous group of people that now own TRUE NORTH in Morris, IL. They have the ultimate "cool junk and fabulous finds" store. If you are in the Chicagoland area, it's definitely worth checking out!